“I hope to develop a career in the sustainability sector”, Dan Curry.
What is your job about?
Change Agents UK is a sustainability charity focused on young people and empowering them to gain experience and prepare them for the workplace.
I work in the energy field, specifically in a project that is about energy efficiency and helping householders with energy use.
What issues do you address?
- Access to energy
- Information provision and assisting with energy bills
- Managing heat systems e.g. insulation and boilers
- Writing reports for customer needs
- Debit issues
- Delivery presentations on energy use
- Low income household with a view that there is a bigger agenda
- Provide independent information
- Tackle social isolation through door to door assistance for the vulnerable
What moved you to take action?
After completing a Biology Degree I then moved on to do a MSc in Environmental Sustainability. I grew an interest in helping people and addressing inequality issues mainly within the UK.
What were the obstacles that you had to overcome?
- Distrust of energy companies due to miselling caused issues with clients and customers as they were reluctant in receiving help or advice from us and getting the brand recognized
- Funding issues and inconsistency of funding
- Working with graduates and lack of experience
What helped you keep going in hard times?
When finding changes, it can be frustrating, Government cut fuel bills by £50 in 2014 which meant our funding was cut and we could not deliver the service effectively. The clients we were already helping were discouraged and increased distrust.
What first prompted you to become interested in environmental issues and when was that?
Rural upbringing and parental influence which induces environmental issues and MSC in Environmental Sustainability was a big tipping point to take action
On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being very happy) where would you rate how you feel about your life?