- Encouraging conservation and birdwatching tourism at Beidaihe, Hebei, China;
- Promoting nature tourism and conservation in Asia, especially Hong Kong, through articles and books such as “Hong Kong Pathfinder” and websites including Hong Kong Outdoors and DocMartin;
- Production of a film I co-produced, “Explore Wild Hong Kong”!
- Refuting notions wild birds are major carriers of H5N1 bird flu;
- Aiming to disseminate environment related information including on global warming, with emphasis on science over disinformation and unreason.
Motivation is aiming to slow deterioration in biosphere, albeit I only work on small aspects of this immense issue.
I feel the vision is bleak despite environmentalism rising, the planet’s problems are mounting and there are signs that global warming is at a rate that few scientists had anticipated. But…we’ve got to do something; maybe initiatives like Earth Champions can help turn the tide.
Progress: nowhere hugely satisfactory. Some areas protected at and near Beidaihe; certainly far greater awareness of birds and bird habitats in this area, and some nearby parts of Hebei.
In Hong Kong, perhaps a little more awareness of nature tourism and its potential benefits.
Here and there, such as Philippine eagle project in Philippines, and black-faced spoonbill conservation efforts in Taiwan, articles I’ve done have been some help.
- Dr Martin Williams
Martin [at] drmartinwilliams.com
Initiatives Contact details: