“I really believe in what I do and I think it is the right thing to do”, Kirstyn Moller.
What is your job about?
19 years ago Seacourt decided to become as environmentally friendly and sustainable as possible. At that time we found out that printing is as harmful as industries like mining, oil exploration and the nuclear energy sectors so thought we had to do something to change that.
One of the first steps was to introduce the first waterless printing press. Since we installed it we have saved 7.5 million litres of water and more. It really makes a huge diffrence. We now run completely on renewable energy and Seacourt is the word first zero waste to landfill printing company.
What issues do you address?
- Promoting sustainability through printing
- Reducing impact from printing
What moved you to take action?
Our MD wanted to develop printing in a way which could be as environmentally friendly as possible. We found out about how harmful it can be so decided to make a change. Printing has a huge impact for the environment and he wanted to do something to change that.
What were the obstacles that you had to overcome?
- Because our new printer is the first in the world of its kind it was difficult to find out what inks etc worked best. It has taken a lot of trial and error.
- The next people to start using this will find it much easier as there will be someone they can learn from
What helped you keep going in hard times?
- Our MD wants us to future proof ourselves, he (and the team) really believe in this and we know it is the right thing for us to be doing. He wants us to be at the forefront and always offer the best products to our clients.
- He doesn’t want us to just be talking the talk it has to be in practice.
- Some days it is hard to make lots and lots of cold calls but when someone takes the time to listen to our differences and way we work then get excited to work with us it makes it all worthwhile.
What first prompted you to become interested in environmental issues and when was that?
- I was approached by Seacourt whilst working for another printing company, I didn’t really think so much about environmental issues before then but it all made complete sense.
- It made me wonder why this method of printing isn’t used by all.
- I enjoy working for a good cause.
On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being very happy) where would you rate how you feel about your life?