The Web-based Room Booking System of the Bank of East Asia’s BEA Tower, Millennium City 5 in Kwun Tong is an intelligent and sustainable mode of facility management.
It utilises staff identity cards and an online booking system to manage resources such as meeting rooms. It ensures the meeting rooms are booked via an automatic, intelligent system that conserves the energy use of lights and air-conditioning, which are controlled so that they are only on when the room is in use.
The Web-based Room Booking System is an intelligent and sustainable mode of the facility management system in the Bank of East Asia. Launched in May 2005, the system enables all staff of our Bank to reserve meeting rooms via the Bank˙s Intranet.
The uniqueness of the system is its design in the effective use and environmentally friendly management of meeting rooms within the whole BEA Tower, Millennium City 5 in Kwun Tong. The system itself is characterised with the following distinctive features:
- Paperless Booking System: The requests for room booking are made online via computer terminals and confirmations are done via emails. All staff in our Bank who have access to computer terminals will be able to make use of the system. The paperless system significantly saves any use of papers.
- Efficient Use of Electricity: The air-conditioning and lights inside any room will only be switched on when users start using the rooms by inserting the Room Booking Cards. The air-conditioning and lights will likewise be switched off automatically as soon as users finish using the rooms and retrieve their cards. This feature minimises unnecessary energy dissipation by eliminating the chance of users forgetting to switch off utilities after leaving the rooms.
- Amalgamation of Room Booking Card and Staff Card: Apart from designated Room Booking Cards, the system can be operated with Staff Cards. The system is thus not only user-friendly but also serves to minimise the use of materials for cards and keys.
- Optimization of Office Space Resources: The centralised management of the availabilities of the over 50 meeting & conference rooms and the adoption of a User Pays principle with penalty scheme have resulted in firstly an optimum use of meeting venues and secondly minimisation of unnecessary pre-occupation of room resources.
- Extra Value Added Services at No Cost: By linking the system with our Staff Canteen at 42/F, the system can provide an extra value-added Tea Lady Service. Tea and coffee can be ordered through operating the reader inside the room. This service minimises any extra dissipation of resources such as water and electricity.
Bank of East Asia